My name is Ed Byrne and I am the founder of Digital Mines and a serial entrepreneur. Some of my recent successes include the sales of the Hosting365 Cloud Computing business to SunGard AS in 2010 and Register365 to NamesCo in 2008. I am now pursuing a number of opportunities in the technology sector, specifically within Web Services and Internet Infrastructure.
This blog is a place for me to write about my thoughts on business and technology areas I am interested in. I am passionate about sustainable development – specifically renewable energy and the multitude of applications, and gigantic challenges we need to overcome to make clean energy a success. I absolutely believe in the continued growth and proliferation of the Internet throughout the globe and on devices we have not even seen yet – with connectivity we cannot imagine – and I see many opportunities in Web Services and Internet Infrastructure.
Born and raised in Ireland, I have previously worked in Germany, The Netherlands, and Poland. I now base my time in Ireland and Poland. You can read my full profile, and connect to me on LinkedIn. Alternatively, here is a short summary of my career to date:
- 1999 – Endare Technologies – Founder – Developed a Middleware Payment System
- 2000 – NewVent – Projects Manager – Managed VC Portfolio and Investment Strategy.
- 2002 – Dream Logistics (A NewVent Venture) – Trade Consultant – Impemented Software in US Multinationals for Trade Compliance in the E.U.
- 2003 – Enhance Multimedia – Business Development Manager – Formed an Internet Marketing Division.
- 2005 – Byrne Digital Media – Founder & CEO – Developed Web Applications to replace Desktop-based software and provided Internet Marketing services.
- 2006 – Hosting365 – General Manager – Responsible for Strategy, Operational Management and Finance. Sold Register365 division to NamesCo in 2008. Sold Hosting365 Cloud Computing business to SunGard AS in 2010.
- 2010 – Founder and Managing Director, Digital Mines.
I went to school, played golf and rugby in Belvedere College, and graduated from the University of Dublin – Trinity College Dublin with an honours degree in Business and Information Technology.
Outside of business I am a keen golfer, and I enjoy running, the occasional kitesurf, and an annual winter ski break. I am an avid cook and wine enthusiast, and I enjoy all forms of business and science books (especially those dealing with sustainability).